- 1 What is Apple AirPrint?
- 2 How to print through 3G/4G from iPhone?
- 3 Top Rated iPhone Photo Printers
- 3.1 1. Kodak Dock & Wi-Fi 4x6” Photo Printer
- 3.2 2. Epson Expression Photo XP-830
- 3.3 3. Canon Compact TS6020 Wireless Home Inkjet All-in-One Printer
- 3.4 4. Prynt Case for Apple iPhone
- 3.5 5. SkyMall Mobile Wi-Fi & NFC Photo Printer
- 3.6 Which iPhone Photo Printer is Best?
If you’ve been searching on how to print direct from your iPhone (including models 5, 6, 7, 8 and X)? This buying guide will explain which iPhone photo printer you should look for in terms of features, price and how easy it is to hook up your smartphone with a printer that could be hundreds of miles away and still print a document or photo in an instant!
Imagine the different scenarios this could be useful:
1. You are at a music festival or concert and want to print off a photo to your friends and family who are at home. You can post your photos to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and print out at the same time.
2. An urgent work document must be viewed, approved or signed by someone else in another office or location.
3. Signed contracts can be scanned and then printed in an instant via mobile device printing.
These are just three, but the possibilities are endless and by synching your iPhone through an app you can effectively “print on the go” without having to connect via USB, Ethernet or Micro SD card.
What you need to get started:
1. Mobile Compatible Printer - Our list below will show all printers that are mobile print ready. Basically most medium level inkjet and lasers that can connect via wireless network should be able to connect to your iPhone or iPad. In any case, it’s always best to check before you buy (why not take a look at our Best Portable Photo Printer for 2019?), even more so with new iPhones because older models such as the 5 and 6 might require a different printer connection to one of the newer models of 7, 8 and X.
2. Bridging Software App - In order to print from iPhone to printer you will have to “pair up” your phone with printer by downloading an app. For this, you have two options in terms of software. You can either use Apple iOS software app called Apple AirPrint or download a manufacturer’s own app such as HP ePrint.
What is Apple AirPrint?
This app will already be on your phone if have at least iOS version 4.2 installed. It connects via wireless connection to your printer but does not work via 3G or 4G, so if you are happy to print from your home/office network then Apple AirPrint will work.
How to print through 3G/4G from iPhone?
For a complete mobile printing solution you can use a cloud service such as Google Cloud Print, but the best way is to download the manufacturer’s own app to your device.
Most work as long as you have email on your phone – once you press the print button on your phone an email is sent to the server which in turn then connects with your printer. Each of our printers rated below will connect to your iPhone through mobile data network and Wi-Fi connection.
Top Rated iPhone Photo Printers
Take a look at Kodak’s super sleek photo printer that connects easily to iPhone for photo printing on the go. This printer has all the latest features including one touch printing, high quality thermal printing and free app software for your iPhone.
4x6 Kodak printer & dock.
Power lead and USB cable.
Clear and easy to understand manual.
10 photo cartridges and pack of photo paper.
Super small and compact, fits in a backpack or handbag easily.
High quality thermal photo printing.
Intuitive app with loads of features to customize your photos.
Slightly more expensive than “like for like” competition.
Print speed – can take over a minute to print out a high-resolution photo.
One of the most advanced printers compatible for iPhone is the Expression XP-830. Made by Epson this printer has a variety of functions and features including a multiple feed unit so that you can print on thicker cards, CDs and DVDS. The quality of prints is also excellent – this is due to the 6 color HD ink set that brings photos to life.
1 Epson photo printer.
Software for Windows.
6 x HD ink cartridges.
Sleek and compact design.
Fast and high quality printing.
Double sided printing.
Easy WiFi and mobile setup via free software downloads.
Slower page printing (fast printing on DVDs).
Epson ink cartridges expensive.
Enjoy stunning home and mobile printing with the new PIXMA TS6020 from Canon. This printer has a 5 ink tank system for super print quality and can easily print off a full color photo in less than one minute – you can also print from iPhone / iPad or other mobile device directly using AirPrint. This printer can also copy and scan making it a perfect all in one device suitable for most printing requirements.
1 PIXMA TS6020 inkjet printer.
3 sheets of 4 x 6 photo printer.
CD for setup and software extras.
Versatile printing on different media types including tickets, cards, stickers and transparent paper.
Improved user LCD screen for quicker and more intuitive printing options.
2 different paper feeders, one for plain paper and rear for high glossy photo paper.
Connects to iPhone via Apple AirPrint or Google Cloud Print.
Manually registering different paper sizes from standard legal.
No auto-reorder ink function.
How about an iPhone case that prints and looks cool? – Say hello to Prynt, the most portable way to instantly print out photos from your Apple smartphone. Remember, this is a case not a iPhone photo printer that fits neatly around your iPhone and the perfect way to print out when you are out. Think of a modern-day Kodak Polaroid attached to your cell phone!
Prynt iPhone print cover.
10 photo papers.
Simple setup guide, there is further FAQs and help on the official Prynt support web page.
Retro styled case that has used no batteries! The case is powered via USB charging.
Quick print out of stored images in iPhone photo library.
Easy to use and the best print solution in terms of mobility.
Have to use the Prynt App in order for device to work.
Print quality not as good as the stand-alone iPhone photo printer such as the Canon and the Epson.
For a super cheap iPhone photo printer take a look at the SkyMall Mobile printer, it comes in three colors (white, pink and black) so this is definitely aimed at the teenager market. The device itself is both robust, has a cool design and print outs are sized at 2.1 x 3.4 inches.
The paper passes through the printer a few times in order to print the best colors and output the sharpest resolutions possible so don’t be put off by how the SkyMall operates.
1 ultra-portable SkyMall photo printer.
1 all in one photo cartridge and paper (prints out 10 sheets).
USB data cable from printer to cell phone.
Price! This cheap iPhone photo printer is almost half the price of top name branded mobile portable photo printers.
Extremely lightweight and portable – weighing just 10.6 ozs this little device will fit easily in your backpack or purse.
Free and easy to use software app for both Android and Apple mobile phones.
Low cost printing costs – each cartridge which includes paper is under $10.
Print outs not as detailed as more big and expensive models.
Not a brand leader – SkyMall is an independent company.
Which iPhone Photo Printer is Best?
Of course read the reviews for each printer but our buying guide for 2017 should be able to point you in the right direction – is print resolution the most important factor or maybe price?
Currently the Kodak Dock and WiFi iPhone Photo Printer is our number one choice. It quickly prints stunning photos to a professional standard, is not expensive and is still portable enough to be able to carry in a bag or backpack. This printer is also compatible with iPad, iPhone, camera and USB flash drive.